Thursday, January 17, 2013

Week 1 Meal Planning ...

Hello There,

Well this will be an update on my week food plan and also a confession on a bad decision I already made.

To kick things off,  this is what I cooked last Sunday to plan our food for the entire week.
This will include lunch and dinner for me the husband.

I will break it down so it can be simple. I based my meal planning around the Virgin diet : 
NO Soy
NO Corn
NO Gluten
NO Dairy
NO Sugar and artificial sweeteners
NO Eggs
NO Peanuts


Each meal should include the following: protein, vegetable and complex carb ( check out this link for a list of what a complex carb is link )

I choose the following based on what we like to eat, is affordable and easy to make :

Vegetables:
Frozen Veggies - Normandy Blend ( Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots)
Green Beans and Mushroom sauteed with Coconut Oil
Oven Roasted Veggies - squash, bell peppers, onions, eggplant cut into pieces, tossed in garlic olive oil , kosher salt and let it roast in the oven for about 30min

Complex Carb:
Quinoa cooked in Organic chicken broth
Baked Sweet Potatoes
Lentils ( which I actually ended up using to make a soup )

Protein:
Steak ( for the hubby )
Shrimp
Salmon
Turkey - this I used to make turkey meat sauce and turkey Quinoa patties 

I also made :
Spaghetti Squash ( baked in oven for 1 hr and scooped out with a fork .. Guilt Free Spaghetti OMG ! )
Lentil Soup loaded with veggies and blended to a creamy soup ( I used the same veggie blend as the roasted veggies,  used half for the soup and half was roasted )

From the above I mixed and matched to create 5 dinners and 5 lunch and everything is  good for us ! 

In the morning I start my day with a protein shake that I make with a mix of flaxmilk and coconut milk ( both sugar free ), raw plant based protein powder, flax seeds and chia seeds . Last but not least I add some frozen berries and I have myself a quick and easy ( not to mention filling breakfast ) 

So far I have stuck to the menu which is good for me.  With the exception of the turkey patties I have to cook the protein for our dinner when I get home, but that is mostly quick since the protein is already portioned and thawed by the time I get home. All my sides are precooked so all I have to do it heat them up. Tonight we are going to have salmon, roasted veggies and baked sweet potatoes.

I know it seems like alot of planning and a waste of a Sunday but let me tell you that so far it's been worth it for me. I have no once come home to pig out , instead I come home and get to cooking knowing that I am going to be enjoying some good for me cooking in no time.

Next week I plan on pretty much using the same items but mixing it so we don't eat the same veggies with the same protein every week.

Today I took a day off  and that is where my confession comes in. I had BURGER KING !
I was looking for a healthy place and I just could not resist. I had a whopper which probably had almost everything I was not suppose to. Arghhh I know I know... I have no will power but I am working on it !

Well I hope this is of some use to someone out there... Any questions feel free to let me know

Karen




No comments:

Post a Comment